Re: pg_dump include/exclude data, was: verify checksums / CREATE DATABASE

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_dump include/exclude data, was: verify checksums / CREATE DATABASE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/6/19 6:50 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> The current canonical solution (?) for verifying checksums in
>> an existing database is, to may understanding, to pg_dump it
>> (to /dev/null, perhaps):
>> as that will read and verify all blocks related to the dump
>> of that database.

FWIW, that doesn't seem especially canonical from here.  In particular,
pg_dump will not normally result in any examination at all of indexes
on user-defined tables --- it'll just be doing seqscans of the tables
proper.  You could hope for reasonably complete coverage of the system
catalogs along with user tables, but missing out user indexes seems
like a pretty big gap.

The actual solution for this as of v11 is pg_verify_checksums
(renamed to just pg_checksums for v12).  I don't think there's
any really convincing answer before v11.