Re: Out of memory on SELECT in 8.3.5

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Out of memory on SELECT in 8.3.5
Дата
Re: Out of memory on SELECT in 8.3.5  ("Matt Magoffin" <postgresql.org@msqr.us>)
Список pgsql-general
> * Matt Magoffin (postgresql.org@msqr.us) wrote:
>> Just running top, it does appear to chew through a fair amount of memory.
>> Here's a snapshot from top of the postgres processing running this query
>> from just before it ran out of memory:
>>
>> PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>> 4486 postgres  18   0 4576m 3.6g 3.3g R   90 23.1   0:34.23 postgres:
>> postgres lms_nna [local] EXPLAIN
>>
>> These values did start out low, for example the RES memory started in the
>> 130MB range, then climbed to the 3.6GB you see here.

That is almost certainly meaningless; it just reflects the process
touching a larger and larger fraction of shared buffers over its
existence.  The number to pay attention to is the non-shared memory size
(VIRT - SHR is probably the right number here).

> Uhh..  I saw that your system was 64-bit, but is your PG process
> compiled as 64bit?  Maybe you're hitting an artificial 32-bit limit,
> which isn't exactly helped by your shared_buffers being set up so high
> to begin with?  Run 'file' on your postgres binary, like so:

I think it must be compiled 64-bit, or he'd not be able to get
shared_buffers that high to start with.  However, it's possible that the
postmaster's been started under a ulimit setting that constrains each
backend to just a few hundred meg of per-process memory.

Сообщение: Re: Out of memory on SELECT in 8.3.5
Сообщение: Re: Out of memory on SELECT in 8.3.5