password authentication fails after assigning a group role to a login role

От Heiko Folkerts
Тема password authentication fails after assigning a group role to a login role
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi all,
I get a error saying password authentication failed when executing the following steps. Please check wether this is a
bugor a wrong usage from me.

1. create a login role called "truetest" and assign it a password. The role should get the "can add databases"
privilege.
2. add a server using the file menu and call it truetest local using the current host (for which the login role was
created)and use the newly created login role as username. I did this on my localhost after a fresh install. I used the
passwordbeing the same as the username.
3. Connect the newly created server
4. Add a group role called truetest_owner within the group roles node for the super user postgres - where we created
thelogin role in step 1. The new group role gets no password and the privilege "can add databaes"
5. open the properties from the login role "truetest" from step 1 and assign the newly created group role
truetest_ownerso that truetest is a member of truetest_owner.
6. reconnect the added server frrom step 2
=> the connection fails and a message saying the passwor ntication failed appears.

Dropping the membership to truetest_owner from truetest doesn't fix the problem.

Questions:
1. Can you copy the problem?
2. Is there a workarround for this?

Maybe this is a bug in PostGreSql itself but since I experience the error when using PGAdmin this should be the first
placeto send the report.

Best regards
Heiko

My System:
Windows 7 64 bit
PostGreSql 9.2.4 (binary installer)

The Problem could be reproduced on another machine.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Heiko Folkerts
DAVID Software GmbH · Wendenring 1 · 38114 Braunschweig
Tel.: +49 531 24379-14
Fax.: +49 531 24379-79
E-Mail: mailto:Heiko.Folkerts@david-software.de
WWW:    http://www.david-software.de
Eintragung: Amtsgericht Braunschweig, HRB 3167
Geschäftsführer: Frank Ptok