Re: BUG #6011: Some extra messages are output in the event log at PostgreSQL startup

От MauMau
Тема Re: BUG #6011: Some extra messages are output in the event log at PostgreSQL startup
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> These particular messages appear to be coming from pg_ctl, not from the
> server at all, so the server logging configuration is irrelevant anyway.
>
> What I think *is* relevant is pg_ctl's -s (--silent) switch, which is
> defined as "only print errors, no informational messages".  I would
> expect that to silence "waiting for ..." messages, and indeed it appears
> to do so in all the cases on the Unix side of the fence.  However,
> someone chose to code these Windows-specific messages as direct
> write_eventlog calls instead of going through print_msg, which means
> that -s doesn't silence them.  So possibly the OP is right that this is
> a bug and not just an unimplemented feature.

I think that those two messages in question are not very helpful, so I hope
those are omitted by default (i.e. even without pg_ctl's -s). If they are
useful and should be logged in the event log, why aren't they logged in
syslog on UNIX/Linux?

So, I wish that the direct calls to write_eventlog will be eliminated. If
those messages are useful for some reason, it may be okay that pg_ctl's -s
hides them at worst. However, it's better to remove the write_eventlog calls
in question, because those software dependent on PostgreSQL have to be
modified to add -s.

Can I expect this will be treated as a bug and fixed in 8.3.x too? BTW, how
can I check the bug treatment? I saw somewhere that you don't like issue
trackers such as JIRA or Bugzilla.

Regards,
MauMau