Re: Transactions within a function body

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: Transactions within a function body
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Reg Me Please escribió:
> Il Thursday 02 October 2008 16:15:10 Alvaro Herrera ha scritto:

> > You can nest blocks arbitrarily, giving you the chance to selectively
> > rollback pieces of the function.  It's only a bit more awkward.
>
> You mean I can issue a ROLLBACK command within a BEGIN...END; block to roll it
> back?

No -- I mean you can use BEGIN/EXCEPTION/END blocks as you like, nesting
them or putting one after another.  Complementing this with RAISE
EXCEPTION you can cause savepoints to roll back at will.

I have seen this feature being asked for, and this work-around suggested so many times. If plpgql does it internally, why not provide a clean interface for this? Is there some road-block, or that nobody has ever tried it?

If there are no known limitations, I'd like to start work on it.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com