Re: join on next row

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: join on next row
Дата
Список pgsql-general
    I agree about the performance; but it won't be that bad if PG can
unnest these subqueries and convert them into join views!!! In that
case, these views would return just one row (LIMIT 1), and that is the
best a developer can do to help the optimizer make the decision. If
the optimizer knows that a relation in the join is going to return
just one row, it would try to evaluate that relation first, yeilding
better performance in the subsequent join operations.

    But I dont think we have a choice; unless, of course, if someday
PG starts supporting Oracle-like 'lateral views', where we can write
have predicates in the where clause of a view which refer the columns
of another relation in the join which this view is a part of!!!

    Do let us all know if you find a better solution.

Regards,
Gurjeet.