Re: Postgres query completion status?

От Greg Williamson
Тема Re: Postgres query completion status?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Richard --

 You might post the results of "EXPLAIN ANALYZE <your SQL here>;" ... be sure to run it in a transaction if you want to
beable roll it back. Perhaps try "EXPLAIN <your SQL>;" first as it is faster, but EXPLAIN ANALYZE shows what the
planneris doing.

You wrote:

> P.S. Sometimes, some queries seem to benefit from being cancelled and then immediately
> re-started. As there are being run in a transaction, I can't see how this could make a difference.
> Am I missing anything obvious?  Occasionally, a re-start of postgresql-8.4l itself seems to help.

This may be the result of caching of the desired rows, either by PostgreSQL or by your operating system. The rollback
wouldn'teffect this -- the rows are already in memory and not on disk waiting to be grabbed -- much faster on all
subsequentqueries.

HTH,

Greg Williamson