Re: [GENERAL] Restart after power outage: createdb

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Restart after power outage: createdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> Then again, if we're doing that, we could probably just nuke 'em...

This has been considered and rejected before, on the grounds that
removing files you don't know the source of is a good way to lose data.

Come to think of it, that argument bears on the immediate problem too.
The way createdb() is coded, if it gets a failure (like "File exists")
trying to create the database's directories, it will attempt to apply
remove_dbtablespaces() to clean up after itself.  This would result in
removing the pre-existing directory, which violates the principle of
not removing unexpected files.  So now I'm starting to think we do need
a check-for-conflicting-files step in createdb.