Re: State of support for back PG branches

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: State of support for back PG branches
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd prefer to measure the time from the release of the follow-on
>> version, so I'd make it "2 years from release of following major
>> version"; that would give people a clearer idea of the time frame
>> in which they're expected to update their applications.  But I'm not
>> wedded to that.

> 'k, if you mean 'major version' == x.0 (ie. 7.0.0, 8.0.0), then I think
> the span of time + 2 years is *way* too long, considering an  average of,
> what, 5 years between major releases ...

No, I mean the clock starts to run on 8.0 when we release 8.1.  It's
been about a year between major releases lately, so "1 release + 2 years"
is in the same ballpark as "3 years".  But I think the former gives
people more clarity about how much time they have to do upgrades.

It's not a big deal either way, probably --- for instance, as of now
7.2 is dead and 7.3 still alive by either rule.

Сообщение: Re: State of support for back PG branches
Сообщение: Re: State of support for back PG branches