Re: proposal: rounding up time value less than its unit.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: proposal: rounding up time value less than its unit.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> My original concern was things that are rounded to zero now will not be in
> 9.5 if the non-error solution is chosen.  The risk profile is extremely
> small but it is not theoretically zero.

This is exactly the position I was characterizing as an excessively
narrow-minded attachment to backwards compatibility.  We are trying to
make the behavior better (as in less confusing), not guarantee that it's
exactly the same.  If we are only allowed to change the behavior by
throwing errors in cases where we previously didn't, then we are
voluntarily donning a straitjacket that will pretty much ensure Postgres
doesn't improve any further.

It's important here that this behavior change is being proposed for a
new major release, not for back-patching.  We have never supposed that
postgresql.conf files had to work without any change in new
major releases.