Re: Regression in 8.3?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Regression in 8.3?
Дата
Re: Regression in 8.3?
Список pgsql-general
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:46:50PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> It surely makes sense - in your environment - but it's not
>> the only interpretation so PG tries to be impartial and
>> makes both of us say clearly what we want.

> If people want it they can add the automatic cast back in, it just
> isn't dfault anymore.

I wouldn't recommend that, as it'd re-open all the gotchas that we took
out the implicit cast to prevent.

However, if you want the behavior for LIKE only, you can make an operator:

regression=# select 84 like '8%';
ERROR:  operator does not exist: integer ~~ unknown
LINE 1: select 84 like '8%';
                  ^
HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.
regression=# create function anylike(anyelement, text) returns bool as $$
regression$#   select $1::text like $2
regression$# $$ language sql;
CREATE FUNCTION
regression=# create operator ~~ ( procedure = anylike,
regression(# leftarg = anyelement, rightarg = text );
CREATE OPERATOR
regression=# select 84 like '8%';
 ?column?
(1 row)