Re: Using OLD on INSERT

От Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes
Тема Re: Using OLD on INSERT
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I can't quite understand the problem. There are minor differences
between insert triggers and update triggers in postgresql...
AFAIK the values OLD and NEW are related to the data being
inserted/updated/modified right now and can't imagine why someone
would use 'old' in a simple insert statement, but here goes my
humble opinions:

 1 - make two triggers. One for insertin and another for updating
 2 - short-circuit OR can be "simulated" using if-then-else clauses:
    if new.expires is null then
       new.expires = //whatever//
    else
      if new.expires = old.expires then
        new.expires = //whatever//
      end if;
    end if;

If you want to be sure that a column is being modified, write a
update trigger.

Hope this helps a bit.