Re: Problem with connecting to postgres using JDBC with JSP, but not JDBC with Java

От tony
Тема Re: Problem with connecting to postgres using JDBC with JSP, but not JDBC with Java
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
... I'm also running
> Red Hat Linux 7.1. Switched over from NT 4.0.  So please bear with me.
> I have used your suggestion Rene and tried connecting to my postgresql
> database using the "HelloPostgreSQL.java" pure JAVA (non-JSP) program
> located at http://www.fankhausers.com/postgresql/jdbc/.  Running this
> enabled me to connect to the database, create tables, insert data,
> delete data and drop tables.
> Subsequent to this, I tried to modify my JSP code to also connect to the
> database (using the same connection string and all), but I kept on
> getting the following run time error in my browser:
> Apache Tomcat/4.0.1 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error type
> Exception report message Internal Server Error description The server
> encountered an internal error (Internal Server
> Error) that prevented it from fulfilling this request. exception
> java.lang.NullPointerException

Null pointers are your friend =:-D </joke>

If you can connect to your setup using JDBC/pure Java  then you can using JSP. JSP is pure Java too.

Did you check my page? I guess you are using Tomcat 4. I haven't updated the site yet because I have had many problems
understandingCatalina (new Tomcat engine).

Try using Tomcat 3.3 while you are on the learning curve. It is very straight forward getting contexts set up etc. You
don'tneed Apache. It is there to serve static stuff faster than Tomcat can. I.E. all your form .html pages and whatnot.

I hope to have some time soon to get back into Tomcat 4 and am hoping that Ultradev5 will support something other than
JSP1.0

Cheers

Tony grant

--
tony@animaproductions.com

JWebMail WebMail/Java v0.7.6 WWW to Mail Gateway