Re: Pg_dumpall

От
Тема Re: Pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I have cron execute a Python script as the database
> administrator to vacuum and backup all databases.
> Rather than dump all databases at once, however, the
> script performs a 'pgsql -l' to get a current list of
> databases.  Each database is dumped and piped into
> gzip for compression into its own backup file.
>
> I should also mention that the script renames all
> previous backup files, all ending in *.gz, to
> *.gz.old; so that they survive the current pg_dump.
> Of course, you could change the script to put the date
> in the file name as to keep unlimited backup versions.

FWIW, another good way to handle the last paragraph would be to use
logrotate. It would handle renaming files as *.1, *.2,... and you could
specify the number of days you wanted it to retain and you don't have to
go in periodically and delete ancient backups so that your drive doesn't
fill up.

(US$0.02)

~Berend Tober