Re: Red Hat Policies Regarding PostgreSQL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Red Hat Policies Regarding PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael Convey <smconvey@gmail.com> writes:
> Due to policies for Red Hat family distributions, the PostgreSQL
> installation will not be enabled for automatic start or have the database
> initialized automatically.

> To which policies are they referring? Licensing, security, or other?​

Packaging policy: daemons shall not run merely by virtue of having been
installed.  Otherwise, if you install a boatload of software without
checking each package, you'd have a boatload of probably-unwanted and
possibly-incorrectly-configured daemons running.  Which is a performance
problem and likely a security hazard too.

It's a good policy IMO (though I used to work there so no doubt I've just
drunk too much Red Hat koolaid).