Re: CREATE SYNONYM in PostgreSQL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: CREATE SYNONYM in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> In general, this has been discussed a number of times in the past (I
> brought it up when I ran into the issue originally too..) and I continue
> to feel that it'd be good for us to have, but the argument is that
> anything done to support synonyms would necessairly slow down name
> resolution and could complicate other things.  Still, I'm hopeful that
> someone with a good use-case for synonyms will get tired of having to
> use such hacks and will have time (or funds) to put towards figuring out
> how to add them to PG.

It's been a long time, but I seem to remember that one of the main
use-cases for Oracle synonyms was cross-database links; so at the
time this was last discussed, we just threw up our hands and said
"we can't support that".  No amount of search-path game playing will
cover that case, and not plain views either.  Today, however, I wonder
whether you can't just use postgres_fdw.  Admittedly it might have some
performance issues...