Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016/12/21 1:45, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> Even if we decide to keep the message, I think it's not very good
>>> wording anyhow; as a translator I disliked it on sight.  Instead of
>>> "skipping scan to validate" I would use "skipping validation scan",
>>> except that it's not clear what it is we're validating.  Mentioning
>>> partition constraint in errcontext() doesn't like a great solution, but
>>> I can't think of anything better.
>>
>> Maybe something like: partition constraint for table \"%s\" is implied
>> by existing constraints
>
> Actually, shouldn't we emit a message if we *don't* skip the check?

Scanning (aka, not skipping) to validate the partition constraint is the
default behavior, so a user would be expecting it anyway, IOW, need not be
informed of it.  But when ATExecAttachPartition's efforts to avoid the
scan by comparing the partition constraint against existing constraints
(which the user most probably deliberately added just for this) succeed,
that seems like a better piece of information to provide the user with,
IMHO.  But then again, having a message printed before a potentially long
validation scan seems like something a user would like to see, to know
what it is that is going to take so long.  Hmm.

Anyway, what would the opposite of Robert's suggested message look like:
"scanning table \"%s\" to validate partition constraint"?

Thanks,
Amit

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Replication slot xmin is not reset if HS feedback isturned off while standby is shut down
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Replication slot xmin is not reset if HS feedback isturned off while standby is shut down