Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate

От Vik Fearing
Тема Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 8/18/23 15:57, yanliang lei wrote:
> Dear everyone,
> I raise this question based on the following considerations:
> 1. Make PostgreSQL easier for beginners to learn;
> 2. PostgreSQL is a database software product rather than a database software project. A product means being more
user-friendly,precise, and reducing the likelihood of misunderstandings。

> The datetime type may make beginners think that there is a datetime data type in the PostgreSQL database. Although
seniorPostgreSQL professionals know that there is no datetime data type, the datetime type is enough to make beginners
misunderstand.
> However, When they saw that the ReleaseNote in PostgreSQL 16 recorded "Accept the spelling"+infinity "in datetime
typeinput",

>   the term 'datetime type' is sufficient for beginners to misunderstand , unless it is noted that 'datetime type' is
ageneral term, representing the following PostgreSQL data types: timestamp [(p)] [without time zone], timestamp [(p)]
withtime zone, date。

> I am not nitpicking ,I hope that: PostgreSQL database software products can become more perfect and accurate。
> Thanks a lot!

On the other hand, the standard talks about datetime types as a
collection of dates, times, timestamps, and intervals; and there is no
type called "datetime" in the standard.  We are just doing the same
thing here.
--
Vik Fearing

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18057: unaccent removes intentional spaces
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18057: unaccent removes intentional spaces