Re: [NOVICE] Postgres authentication to multiple application servers

От Moreno Andreo
Тема Re: [NOVICE] Postgres authentication to multiple application servers
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello Padmini,

Il 25/01/2017 00:35, padmini ha scritto:
> Hi All,
>
> We need to configure Postgres authentication for multiple application
> servers.The application servers are dynamic (Few will be brought down over a
> period and new servers will be added on adhoc basis).Also the servers IPs
> will be changed periodically.
Check if you can group them in a subnet that will not be user for other
purposes...

> we cannot add/remove the application ips to pg_hba.conf file frequently as
> it requires restart of Postgres services.
AFAIK it just requires a reload, without restarting server (using a
subnet you have to do it less frequently, however)

> Please suggest the best authentication method in this case.We are planning
> to use trust in pg_hba.conf and control the access at db level using
> Username and password.
If I were you, in a production environment I'd *never* use trust level,
even for localhost.
the best thing that comes in my mind is to set a subnet where all
servers (and no one else) will reside and combine it with users, like this

host     all     user1     192.168.1.0/32     md5
host     all     user2     192.168.1.0/32     md5
host     all     user3     192.168.1.0/32     md5
and so on.

Best regards,
Moreno