Re: pg_dump far too slow

От Bob Lunney
Тема Re: pg_dump far too slow
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
If you have a multi-processor machine (more than 2) you could look into pigz, which is a parallelized implementation of gzip. I gotten dramatic reductions in wall time using it to zip dump files.  The compressed file is readable by ungzip.

Bob Lunney

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] pg_dump far too slow
To: "David Newall" <postgresql@davidnewall.com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>, pgsql-performance@postgresql.org, robertmhaas@gmail.com
Date: Sunday, March 21, 2010, 10:33 AM

One more from me ....

If you think that the pipe to GZIP may be causing pg_dump to stall, try putting something like buffer(1) in the pipeline ... it doesn't generally come with Linux, but you can download source or create your own very easily ... all it needs to do is asynchronously poll stdin and write stdout. I wrote one in Perl when I used to do a lot of digital video hacking, and it helped with chaining together tools like mplayer and mpeg.

However, my money says that Tom's point about it being (disk) I/O bound is correct :-)

Cheers
Dave