Re: Installing PG as a regular user?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Installing PG as a regular user?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Carlos Moreno <moreno@mochima.com> writes:
> I'm not sure this is the best place to ask this question,

It's not; pgsql-admin would be better (and I think this very question
was asked there yesterday).

> I'm wondering if it is possible to install the postgres server
> being a regular user (i.e., on a machine for which I don't have
> root access)

The only thing you need or want root access for is to add postgres
to the system startup scripts.  Without that, you'll need to manually
re-launch the postgres server any time the system is rebooted.

There was some discussion of faking it with a cron job that's set to
run every few minutes: look to see if postmaster is running, start it
if not.  If you have cron privileges then this might be a good enough
answer, ugly though it be.

See the other thread for more detail.