Re: Should heapam_estimate_rel_size consider fillfactor?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Should heapam_estimate_rel_size consider fillfactor?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 14.06.23 20:41, Corey Huinker wrote:
>     So maybe we should make table_block_relation_estimate_size smarter to
>     also consider the fillfactor in the "no statistics" branch, per the
>     attached patch.
>

> I like this a lot. The reasoning is obvious, the fix is simple,it
> doesn't upset any make-check-world tests, and in order to get a
> performance regression we'd need a table whose fillfactor has been
> changed after the data was loaded but before an analyze happens, and
> that's a narrow enough case to accept.
>
> My only nitpick is to swap
>
>     (usable_bytes_per_page * fillfactor / 100) / tuple_width
>
> with
>
>     (usable_bytes_per_page * fillfactor) / (tuple_width * 100)
>

> as this will eliminate the extra remainder truncation, and it also gets
> the arguments "in order" algebraically.

The fillfactor is in percent, so it makes sense to divide it by 100
first before doing any further arithmetic with it.  I find your version
of this to be more puzzling without any explanation.  You could do
fillfactor/100.0 to avoid the integer division, but then, the comment
above that says "integer division is intentional here", without any
further explanation.  I think a bit more explanation of all the
subtleties here would be good in any case.