Re: cvs to git migration - keywords

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: cvs to git migration - keywords
Дата
Re: cvs to git migration - keywords  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> 1) We can migrate the repository with the keywords, and then make one big
>> commit just after (or before, that doesn't make a difference) removing
>> them. In this case, backbranches and tags look exactly like they do
>> now, but it also means if you do "git diff" between old versions, the
>> keywords will show up there.

> +1 for #1. Changing history and the resulting possibility of becoming
> one's own grandfather always makes me nervous.

Yeah.  One concrete problem with removing the $PostgreSQL$ lines is it
will affect line numbering everywhere.  Yeah, it's only off-by-one, but
there could still be confusion.

One point that isn't completely clear from Magnus' description is
whether we should remove the $PostgreSQL$ lines from the HEAD branch
only, or from the still-active back branches as well.  I vote for the
latter --- that is, if you pull a historical version of some file
from the archives, you should see the appropriate $PostgreSQL$ line,
but we won't have them in the source files for any future minor
release.  The reason for this is that otherwise there will be files
floating around that claim to be CVS version x.y.z, but actually are
different from that, because of back-patching activity after the git
transition.  That seems like a recipe for huge confusion in itself.

Сообщение: Re: cvs to git migration - keywords
Сообщение: Re: cvs to git migration - keywords