Re: "Reverse" inheritance?

От vinny
Тема Re: "Reverse" inheritance?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2017-04-04 09:12, Tim Uckun wrote:
>> I agree with the barking up the wrong tree, building a physical tree
> in tables doesn't sound right
> given that you will have to create a new branch in the tree when a new
> version/variation of ubuntu comes out.
>
> This doesn't bother me that much.

It should. You are using tables as data, which is pretty much always a
smell of bad design.
I could be pedantic and ask how you would store unix version "14.5
\%funky penguin%/ rev 1,5"
given that most of that name consists of characters that are not allowed
in a table name.

>> Also think about how you are going to do basic queries like listing
> all known unix variants; if that is hidden in the table namesthen
> you'll have to issue DDL queries to do the work of SELECT queries,
> which just sounds wrong to me.
>
> Yes this might be a problem but one I could easily overcome.

Sure, but why would you though? You already have everything in place for
creating records,
why bother creating a different system just for the unix versions?

>> I'd go for a tree, possibly using recursive CTE's to dig it.
>
> I was thinking a window function but yea I am sure there is a way to
> do it with a flat table.

I'm not sure you can do it with windowing actually,
given that you'd have to sort every record based on a match with the
previous record.
But I've never tried it because CTE's make it so easy :-)