Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace onthe fly

От Alexey Kondratov
Тема Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace onthe fly
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-03-30 21:34, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 09:02:22PM +0300, Alexey Kondratov wrote:
>> Hmm, I went through the well known to me SQL commands in Postgres and
>> a bit
>> more. Parenthesized options list is mostly used in two common cases:
>
> There's also ANALYZE(VERBOSE), REINDEX(VERBOSE).
> There was debate a year ago [0] as to whether to make "reindex
> CONCURRENTLY" a
> separate command, or to use parenthesized syntax "REINDEX
> (CONCURRENTLY)".  I
> would propose to support that now (and implemented that locally).

I am fine with allowing REINDEX (CONCURRENTLY), but then we will have to
support both syntaxes as we already do for VACUUM. Anyway, if we agree
to add parenthesized options to REINDEX/CLUSTER, then it should be done
as a separated patch before the current patch set.

> ..and explain(...)
>
>> - In the beginning for boolean options only, e.g. VACUUM
>
> You're right that those are currently boolean, but note that
> explain(FORMAT ..)
> is not boolean.

Yep, I forgot EXPLAIN, this is a good example.

> .. and create table (LIKE ..)

LIKE is used in the table definition, so it is a slightly different
case.

>> Putting it into the WITH (...) options list looks like an option to
>> me.
>> However, doing it only for VACUUM will ruin the consistency, while
>> doing it
>> for CLUSTER and REINDEX is not necessary, so I do not like it either.
>
> It's not necessary but I think it's a more flexible way to add new
> functionality (requiring no changes to the grammar for vacuum, and for
> REINDEX/CLUSTER it would allow future options to avoid changing the
> grammar).
>
> If we use parenthesized syntax for vacuum, my proposal is to do it for
> REINDEX, and
> consider adding parenthesized syntax for cluster, too.
>
>> To summarize, currently I see only 2 + 1 extra options:
>>
>> 1) Keep everything with syntax as it is in 0001-0002
>> 2) Implement tail syntax for VACUUM, but with limitation for VACUUM
>> FULL of
>> the entire database + TABLESPACE change
>> 3) Change TABLESPACE to a fully reserved word
>
> + 4) Use parenthesized syntax for all three.
>
> Note, I mentioned that maybe VACUUM/CLUSTER should support not only
> "TABLESPACE
> foo" but also "INDEX TABLESPACE bar" (I would use that, too).  I think
> that
> would be easy to implement, and for sure it would suggest using () for
> both.
> (For sure we don't want to implement "VACUUM t TABLESPACE foo" now, and
> then
> later implement "INDEX TABLESPACE bar" and realize that for consistency
> we
> cannot parenthesize it.
>
> Michael ? Alvaro ? Robert ?

Yes, I would be glad to hear other opinions too, before doing this
preliminary refactoring.

--
Alexey Kondratov

Postgres Professional https://www.postgrespro.com