Re: vacuum vs pg_repack for clearing bloat?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: vacuum vs pg_repack for clearing bloat?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Lists <lists@benjamindsmith.com> writes:
> Our app makes extensive use of temp tables, and this causes a
> significant amount of bloat that can often only be cleared with a manual
> vacuum process. We're looking for a better way that doesn't involve
> locking, we found pg_repack and pg_reorg  and were wondering if anybody
> here could weigh in on using this instead of using vacuum?

A temp table is only accessible to the owning process, so if you're hoping
for vacuuming of it to happen silently in background, you'll be sadly
disappointed.  The speed advantage of a temp table come exactly from not
having to worry about concurrent access, so this isn't a tradeoff that can
easily be adjusted.