Re: number of rows estimation for bit-AND operation

От Slava Moudry
Тема Re: number of rows estimation for bit-AND operation
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,
Yes, I thought about putting the bit-flags in separate fields.
Unfortunately - I expect to have quite a lot of these and space is an issue when you are dealing with billions of
recordsin fact table, so I prefer to pack them into one int8.
For users it's also much easier to write "where mt_flags&134=0" instead of "where f_2=false and f4=false and
f_128=false".
In Teradata - that worked just fine, but it costs millions vs. zero cost for Postgres, so I am not really complaining
outloud :)

Hopefully Tom or other bright folks at PG could take a look at this for the next patch/release.
Btw, can you send me the link to " PG's selectivity estimator" discussion - I'd like to provide feedback if I can.
Thanks,
-Slava.