Re: Review of: explain / allow collecting row counts without timing info

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Review of: explain / allow collecting row counts without timing info
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I suspect we will be unwilling to make such a break with the past.  In
> that case, I think I prefer the originally proposed semantics, even
> though I agree they are somewhat less natural.  ANALYZE is a big flag
> that means "This query will be executed, not just planned".  If we are
> not going to make a major break, but only nibble around the edges,
> then I don't think we should remove the property that the query will
> be executed if and only if ANALYZE is specified.

Yeah, I think we need to preserve that property.  Unexpectedly executing
a query (which may have side-effects) is a very dangerous thing.  People
are used to the idea that ANALYZE == execute, and adding random other
flags that also cause execution is going to burn somebody.