Re: 7.0.3 reproduceable serious select error

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 7.0.3 reproduceable serious select error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rob van Nieuwkerk <robn@verdi.et.tudelft.nl> writes:
> Checking whith ps and looking in /proc reveiled that postmaster indeed
> had LANG set to "en_US" in its environment.  I disabled the system script
> that makes this setting, restarted postgres/postmaster and reran my tests.

> The problem query returns the *right* answer now !
> Turning LANG=en_US back on gives the old buggy behaviour.

Caution: you can't just change the locale willy-nilly, because doing so
invalidates the sort ordering of btree indexes.  An index built under
one sort order is effectively corrupt under another.  I recommend that
you dumpall, then initdb under the desired LANG setting, then reload,
and be careful always to start the postmaster under that same setting
henceforth.

(BTW, 7.1 prevents this type of index screwup by locking down the
database's locale at initdb time --- the ONLY way to change sort order
in 7.1 is to initdb with the right locale environment variables.  But in
7.0 you gotta be careful about keeping the locale consistent.)

> I know very little about this LANG, LOCALE etc. stuff.
> But for our application it is very important to support "weird" characters
> like "���� ..." etc. for names.  Basically we need all
> letter symbols in ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1).

As long as you are not expecting things to sort in any particular order,
it really doesn't matter what locale you run Postgres in.  If you do
care about sort order of characters that aren't bog-standard USASCII,
then you may have a problem.  But you can store 'em in any case.

Сообщение: Re: converting from text -> inet ... possible?
Сообщение: Re: converting from text -> inet ... possible?