Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer

От Darren Duncan
Тема Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer
Дата
Re: Proposal: Drop support for Internet Explorer
Список pgadmin-support
The patch looks good as much as I understand it, but this raises an important
question:

How should one best handle minority browsers that may be completely modern but
you may not specifically know about them?  Such as the newer crop of browsers
that emphasize stronger privacy or may have fewer identifiers?

While going on a whitelist as the patch essentially does for known good browsers
is conservative, I feel that an alteration would be good.

I propose dividing the browsers/environments into 3 categories, which are
recognized-supported, recognized-unsupported, and unrecognized.

So the unsupported older versions of supported browsers get a stronger message
encouraging a browser switch as they are recognized as unsupported, while
unrecognized browsers get a different weaker message saying they weren't
recognized so we can't determine if they'd work; both can point to the list of
known supported browsers.

Related to this, there could be an application toggle that affects the
unrecognized category where users can basically say, yes I understand you don't
recognize this browser, please hide the warning, or something like that.

Also, it probably goes without saying, but the code/templates will need to be
structured in such a way that the warning message uses about plain as possible
HTML so that if the browser doesn't support displaying the UI in general it can
at least display the message.

-- Darren Duncan