Re: maximum for database users?

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: maximum for database users?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
tjibbe@hotmail.com ("Tjibbe Rijpma") writes:
> Is there a maximun for database users in PostgreSQL?
>
> Is is sensible to create a database with 3000 or more database users? All
> divided different groups? And give those groups privileges?
>
> Or is it better to let PHP handle the user privileges?

User identities are stored in a table, pg_shadow, and PostgreSQL is
fairly good at managing data stored in tables :-).

But it is fairly common for applications to not expose database users
to the application users.

For instance, the SAP R/3 system (which doesn't use PostgreSQL; it
typically uses Oracle) generally runs as just one database user.

Likewise, it is common for a web application to have one or just a few
"database users;" think of Slashdot, where there is not really any
reason for each of the many thousands of users to be identifiable
inside the database.

The applications we hook to PostgreSQL generally have small numbers of
database users, however many "application users" there may be.

You'll likely find the same true for you...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/wp.html