Re: a provocative question?

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: a provocative question?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
quension@gmail.com ("Trevor Talbot") writes:
> There's also a point in regard to how modifications are made to your
> data store.  In general, things working with text files don't go to
> much effort to maintain durability like a real database would.  The
> most direct way of editing a text file is to make all the changes in
> memory, then write the whole thing out.  Some editors make backup
> files, or use a create-delete-rename cycle, but they won't
> necessarily force the data to disk -- if it's entirely in cache you
> could end up losing the contents of the file anyway.

In the case of Eudora, if its filesystem access protocol involves
writing a new text file, and completing that before unlinking the old
version, then the risk of "utter destruction" remains fairly low
specifically because of the nature of access protocol.

> In the general case on the systems I work with, corruption is a
> relatively low concern due to the automatic error detection and
> correction my disks perform, and the consistency guarantees of
> modern filesystems.  Interruptions (e.g. crashes or power failures)
> are much more likely, and in that regard the typical modification
> process of text files is more of a risk than working with a
> database.

Error rates are not so low that it's safe to be cavalier about this.

> I've also had times where faulty RAM corrupted gigabytes of data on
> disk due to cache churn alone.

Yeah, and there is the factor that as disk capacities grow, the
chances of there being errors grow (more bytes, more opportunities)
and along with that, the number of opportunities for broken checksums
to match by accident also grow.  (Ergo "don't be cavalier" unless you
can be pretty sure that your checksums are getting more careful...)

> It will always depend on your situation.  In both cases, you
> definitely want backups just for the guarantees neither approach can
> make.

Certainly.

> [way off topic]
> In regard to the Windows Registry in particular...
>
>> There is certainly some legitimacy to the claim; the demerits of
>> things like the Windows Registry as compared to "plain text
>> configuration" have been pretty clear.
>
>> -> You are taking regular backups, right???
>>
>>    If you are, that's a considerable mitigation of risks.  I don't
>>    believe it's typical to set up off-site backups of one's Windows
>>    Registry, in contrast...
>
> Sometimes I think most people get their defining impressions of the
> Windows Registry from experience with the Windows 9x line.  I'll
> definitely agree that it was simply awful there, and there's much to
> complain about still, but...
>
> The Windows Registry in NT is an actual database, with a WAL,
> structured and split into several files, replication of some portions
> in certain network arrangements, redundant backup of key parts in a
> local system, and any external storage or off-site backup system for
> Windows worth its salt does, indeed, back it up.
>
> It's been that way for about a decade.

I guess I deserve that :-).

There is a further risk, that is not directly mitigated by backups,
namely that if you don't have some lowest common denominator that's
easy to recover from, you may not have a place to recover that data.

In the old days, Unix filesystems were sufficiently buggy corruptible
that it was worthwhile to have an /sbin partition, all statically
linked, generally read-only, and therefore seldom corrupted, to have
as a base for recovering the rest of the system.

Using files in /etc, for config, and /sbin for enough tools to recover
with, provided a basis for recovery.

In contrast, there is definitely risk to stowing all config in a DBMS
such that you may have the recursive problem that you can't get the
parts of the system up to help you recover it without having the DBMS
running, but since it's corrupted, you don't have the config needed to
get the system started, and so we recurse...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxdatabases.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html