Re: performace review

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: performace review
Дата
Список pgsql-general
rabroersma@yahoo.com (Richard Broersma Jr) writes:
>> did you notice this line
>> ---------------
>>
>> *** Please note that we do not recommend PostgreSQL for production
>> use. While PostgreSQL may be fine for many settings this DBMS simply
>> does not deliver the performance required for openCRX (PostgreSQL
>> takes minutes/hours to calculate 3-table-joins even for small data
>> sets).
>>
>> ---------------
>>
>> that sounds to me like someone never vacuumed and analyzed their db.
>
> If you look at the db comparison chart, I think the only row that
> they got right for every RDMS listed was "FREE vs Commericial".
> They suggest that postgresql and mysql can only handle 20 concurrent
> users and this low value doesn't seems realistic to me at all.

For heavy load, MySQL with myisam has often started really choking at
~10 concurrent users, so that part doesn't seem ludicrously
unrealistic.  (Somewhat off?  Perhaps.  Ludicrously so?  Not.)

It's possible that the last time they tried PostgreSQL was with
version 7.1 or 7.2, and things have really changed since then.

This could also be a situation where adding a few useful indexes might
fix a lot of ills.  Better to try to help fix the problems so as to
help show that the comparisons are way off base rather than to simply
cast stones...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/advocacy.html