Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> OK, there's been a *lot* of changes on what's in and what's out for the
> PostgreSQL release since my first draft.  Can I have some help with this?
>
> We're looking for things actually in 8.2, according to Bruce's release notes,
> which will make sense to the press and moderately technical non-DBA readers.
>
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> We'll want to pick out 3-5 things for the main release, and another 3-5 things
> for the extended release.   The extended release items can be things which
> matter only to existing users (like pg_dump improvements) but the main
> release items need to be things which are "buzzword compliant" or otherwise
> newsworthy.
>
> One big thing is overall performance, which is up 20% overall on OLTP workload
> tests at Sun. (SpecJ and TPC)

Looking back at your presentation to JPUG (I think...), there were a
number of items listed as coming in 8.2 that I'm not sure have
actually made it.  Or perhaps they are there, and should be in the
release notes.

1.  Faster sorting - apparently some algorithm/memory improvements

  I think I see this one as a Simon/Tom change

2.  Outer Join optimization - up to 300% improvement

  I think I see this one...

3.  PL/pgSQL debugger

 I think that's listed as the following:

  Add support for libraries that enhance server-side languages (Korry Douglas)

    Such libraries can be used for debugging or performance measurement.

4.  TSearch3

  It looks like they didn't rename it; still called TSearch2

Those are some items that might fit into either the main or extended
release...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spiritual.html