Re: PostgreSQL Certification

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Certification  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
Список pgsql-general
t-ishii@sra.co.jp (Tatsuo Ishii) writes:
>> For the contents too. I dont think the source code installation
>> should be so much in the focus of the certification.
>
> Since PostgreSQL is an open source database, I think it is important
> to understand how to install PostgreSQL from the source code.

There will be cases where you'll really need this, particularly if
using extension packages.

For instance, it is likely that Slony-I will be fairly easily
available in precompiled form for PostgreSQL 8.0.  On the other hand,
there probably won't be RPM packages (or the like) for version 7.4,
which means that if you want to use Slony-I for a version upgrade,
there will be a need to compile it, and there's a fair likelihood that
you'll need to compile PostgreSQL as well.

That's just one application; I'm sure there are plenty of others.

And there is also the point: "What good is it to be using an 'open
source' database if you aren't competent to use that source?"
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html