Re: Automatic function replanning

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Automatic function replanning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lukas Smith <mls@pooteeweet.org> writes:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>>     * Flush cached query plans when the dependent objects change,
>>       when the cardinality of parameters changes dramatically, or
>>       when new ANALYZE statistics are available
>
> Wouldn't it also make sense to flush a cached query plan when after
> execution it is determined that one or more assumptions that the
> cached query plan was based on was found to be off? Like the query
> plan was based on the assumption that a particular table would only
> return a hand full of rows, but in reality it returned a few
> thousand.

There is some merit to that.

I could also see it being sensible to flush a cached plan any time the
query took more than some [arbitrary/GUC-chosen] interval.

Supposing it took 20s to execute the query, it would surely seem
surprising for re-evaluating the plan to be expected to make up a
material proportion of the cost of the *next* invocation.

If we flush every plan that took >10s to evaluate, that offers the
possibility for it to be done better next time...
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/internet.html

Сообщение: Re: Automatic function replanning
Сообщение: Re: Automatic function replanning