Re: 7.2 or 7.4 for critical data?

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: 7.2 or 7.4 for critical data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
jarednevans@yahoo.com (Jared Evans) writes:
> I will be installing Debian distro soon at my company.  I'll be
> storing critical data and am wondering if I should go with stable
> 7.2 version or use the 7.4 version (for all the latest features and
> bug fixes).  I'm currently doing the research for the management
> here.
>
> I have checked the newsgroups/blogs/websites and there doesn't seem
> to be any major problems with using 7.4 version.  If you are a
> DBA/system admin at your company and currently using 7.4 for
> critical data storing, please post your experiences and if they were
> positive or negative.

Is there some reason you aren't considering 7.3 as well?  After all,
it's WAY newer than 7.2, and WAY less "bleeding edge" than 7.4.

At any rate, the situations where I have seen 7.4 fall down have been
cases where the problem was _hardware_, where you couldn't expect 7.2
to do one iota better.  If you set fire to a disk drive ;-), that data
is _toast_, irrespective of what OS, DBMS, or scripting language you
may be using...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html