Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
fgp@phlo.org ("Florian G. Pflug") writes:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> Hi Florian,
>> I am right now running an rsync of the Pg CVS repo to my work
>> machine to
>> get a git import underway. I'm rather keen on seeing your cool PITR Pg
>> project go well and I have some git+cvs fu I can apply here (being one
>> of the git-cvsimport maintainers) ;-)
> Cool - I'm new to git, so I really appreciate any help that I can get.
>
>> For the kind of work you'll be doing (writing patches that you'll want
>> to be rebasing onto the latest HEAD for merging later) git is probably
>> the best tool. That's what I use it for... tracking my experimental /
>> custom branches of projects that use CVS or SVN :-)
> Thats how I figured I'd work - though I don't yet understand what
> the advantage of "rebase" is over "merge".
>
> Currently, I've setup a git repo that pulls in the changes from the SVN
> repo, and pushed them to my main soc git repo. On that main repo I have
> two branches, master and pgsql-head, and I call "cg-merge pgsql-head"
> if I want to merge with CVS HEAD.
>
>> Initially, I'll post it on http://git.catalyst.net.nz/ and I can run a
>> daily import for you - once that's in place you can probably get a repo
>> with your work on http://repo.or.cz/
> Having a git mirror of the pgsql CVS would be great.
> BTW, I've just check out repo.or.cz, and noticed that there is already a
> git mirror of the pgsql CVS: http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git

This strikes me as being a really super thing, having both Subversion
and Git repositories publicly available that are tracking the
PostgreSQL sources.

Stepping back to the SCM discussion, people were interested in finding
out what merits there were in having these sorts of SCMs, and in
finding out what glitches people might discover (e.g. - like the files
where the CVS repository is a bit schizophrenic as to whether they are
still there or not...).  Having these repositories should allow some
of this experimentation to take place now.

I'd be interested in fiddling with a Git repository, at some point;
I'll happily wait a bit to start drawing from one of these existing
ones, to let the dust settle and to let things stabilize a bit.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/emacs.html