Re: pg_dump without blobs

От Sébastien Boutté
Тема Re: pg_dump without blobs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I understand that i cannot do a dump of a database without bytea
values.I hope that these feature would be present in next version of
pg_dump as we can store large binary values in these sort of fields
and pg_dump taking a lot of time for dumping the database.
For the moment, I will patch my database to transform my bytea field
into lo (oid) field.
I would to do something similar like this :

update table set new_field = oldfield

but i have problem with cast from bytea to oid.
Is there an efficient way of doing this update ?

Thank you,

Sébastien Boutté

On 7/16/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Vivek Khera wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >
> >> I guess the next question is 'what does postgresql considers a blob'?
> >> bytea fields? How about a large text with megabytes worth of data?
> >
> > bytea and text fields are NOT blobs.  they are what you access via the
> > 'large object' functions.
>
> To follow up on this.
>
> In oracle large text CLOB and binary objects BLOB are synonomous (I
> believe) with PostgreSQL TEXT and BYTEA.
>
> PostgreSQL also supports a non standard, and frankly better
> implementation called lo for binary data, which also uses BYTEA data but
> breaks it up to make it more efficient per row.
>
> There is no way to "not" dump your TEXT and BYTEA data from a particular
> column if you are dumping the whole table.
>
> One option would be to use CREATE TEMP TABLE AS SELECT... and then dump
> that temp table.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

> >               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
> >

> --
>
>        === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
> Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>               http://www.commandprompt.com/
>
> Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
> PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

>        match

Сообщение: Re: deferred check constraints
Сообщение: Re: deferred check constraints