Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:

> Folks,
>
> OK, there's been a *lot* of changes on what's in and what's out for the
> PostgreSQL release since my first draft.  Can I have some help with this?
>
> We're looking for things actually in 8.2, according to Bruce's release notes,
> which will make sense to the press and moderately technical non-DBA readers.
>
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> We'll want to pick out 3-5 things for the main release, and another 3-5 things
> for the extended release.   The extended release items can be things which
> matter only to existing users (like pg_dump improvements) but the main
> release items need to be things which are "buzzword compliant" or otherwise
> newsworthy.

On the "main release" side, it's a pretty tough call.  Here are things
maybe worth mentioning.

- PITR functionality has been improved, allowing more precise control
  over WAL file generation, thereby giving better control over standby
  servers.

- Support multi-row VALUES clauses

- It seems to me that the combination of the various object
  manipulation changes could be collected together as being similar.

   e.g. - DROP x IF EXISTS, DROP OWNED, REASSIGN OWNED, sequence usage
   changes

Extended release:

- Allow units to be specified in configuration settings (Peter)

  You can now set shared_buffers to "32000kB", for example.

- pg_dump can select objects via regexp

- COPY can dump based on a SELECT
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxdatabases.info")