Re: Postgres or Greenplum

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Re: Postgres or Greenplum
Дата
Список pgsql-general
 Hi Radoslaw,

 On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 07:30:33 +0200, Radosław Smogura
 <rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:

> But, I think GreenPlum is "share nothing", isn't it?

 Yes, indeed. In very simple words Greenplum is a parallel processing
 database solution that implements the "shared-nothing" architecture. One
 master server is responsible for managing data distribution and query
 processing among several segments - usually residing on multiple servers
 (that do not share any physical resource, but the network). The shared
 nothing architecture allows the system to be linearly scalable by adding
 commodity hardware to the cluster.

 There is a special version of Greenplum (Greenplum Community Edition)
 that can be used for testing and development (the license allows usage
 in production environments as well under certain circumstances - for
 instance research). Greenplum is owned by EMC and is not open-source.

 Greenplum typical usage is for data warehousing purposes, as main
 source for business intelligence and analytics query. If you are
 interested in topics like this, I suggest that you participate to
 Char(11) (www.char11.org), the second edition of the Clustering, High
 Availability and Replication conference.

 Cheers,
 Gabriele

--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia