Re: UUID v1 optimizations...

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: UUID v1 optimizations...
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2019-05-25 15:45, Ancoron Luciferis wrote:
> So, my question now is: Would it make sense for you to handle these
> time-based UUID's differently internally? Specifically un-shuffling the
> timestamp before they are going to storage?

It seems unlikely that we would do that, because that would break
existing stored UUIDs, and we'd also need to figure out a way to store
non-v1 UUIDs under this different scheme.  The use case is pretty narrow
compared to the enormous effort.

It is well understood that using UUIDs or other somewhat-random keys
perform worse than serial-like keys.

Btw., it might be nice to rerun your tests with PostgreSQL 12beta1.  The
btree storage has gotten some improvements.  I don't think it's going to
fundamentally solve your problem, but it would be useful feedback.