Which locale to use for multiple-language support?

От David Edwards
Тема Which locale to use for multiple-language support?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Some of postgresql's string functions behave differently depending on the locale the cluster was created with. With the locales 'C' or 'en_US.utf8', lower() does not lowercase non-ascii characters such as Ü (umlaut-u).

If we have users from all over the world storing data in our database with all sorts of languages, which locale should we use to ensure these string functions behave as they expect?

Thanks,

--
David Edwards