Re: No heap lookups on index

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: No heap lookups on index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> Would this open the door for allowing tables to be maintained in CLUSTER
> order (at least at the block level if not within the blocks)? Though I
> have no idea how you'd handle page splits without a lot of pain

I think the way you'd attack that is by building the table with a pretty
low fill factor, so that there's room on each page for a number of
updates before you have to split.  Since the index AM is going to be
dictating space allocation, this is all in its hands.

The existing CLUSTER code would probably be totally inapplicable to
this sort of organization --- we'd have to provide some alternate code
path for index-organized heaps.