Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
LObermey@pervasive.com ("Lance Obermeyer") writes:
> The free Oracle deal is limited to their high end Sparc servers,
> which (according to the article) are losing market share.  It is not
> offered for their Opteron servers, which seem to be gaining share
> due to superior design.  I think these are mostly different markets.
> Oracle on the proprietary architecture servers, PostgreSQL on the
> commodity architecture servers.  Seems a reasonable strategy to me.

It's hard to tell exactly what's what there; doubtless the high end
SPARC hardware is losing market share; on the other hand, Sun has only
just released the "exciting new" Niagara hardware, which is exactly
the sort of "hugely-multicore" hardware that fits into what the
article is talking about.

It seems to me that if Sun falls into being an Opteron vendor, they're
dead, because that puts them into a "commodity" market competing with
HP, Celestica, IBM, and such for sales of low end hardware that they
can't get good markup on.

Where PostgreSQL fits, in that, is enormously ambiguous :-).

This certainly seems to fit into the "Let's Make A Deal" category; if
someone has an interesting deal that might sell some Sun hardware, Sun
is unlikely to cast them from the door...
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html

Сообщение: Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind
Сообщение: Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind