Re: BUG #4619: pg_ctl reports strange error message when be executed on non executable directory

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #4619: pg_ctl reports strange error message when be executed on non executable directory
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"Hiroshi Saito" <hiroshi3110@gmail.com> writes:
> Operating system:   Mac OS X 10.5.6
> non executable directory

It works all right (with some bleating) on Linux, so this seems to be
basically a deficiency of Apple's getcwd().  I really don't see any
reason for us to worry about it though, because the only way to be in
a directory that you don't have read permission for is to chmod it
that way after you cd into it --- the shell won't let you cd into
a directory if it can't read it:

pro:~ tgl$ mkdir bogus
pro:~ tgl$ chmod 000 bogus
pro:~ tgl$ cd bogus
bash: cd: bogus: Permission denied

(above test is on OSX 10.5.6).  So I hardly find this to be something
the average user is going to have a problem with; anyone who manages
to get into the situation will know exactly why it's failing, and there
isn't any good reason why it should need to work.