Re: Needed files - embedded postgres

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Needed files - embedded postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
> Henrik Zagerholm <henke@mac.se> writes:
>>> Postgres has been designed as a server, and lots of
>>> implementation details might not make sense in an embedded
>>> context. you might be better served by SQLite, or some other
>>> such library.
>
>> ... It is also quite crash resistant with the WAL implementation.
>
> One of the reasons it's crash resistant is exactly that it's *not*
> embedded, and thus not subject to corruption by application-side bugs.
> That concern is what has caused the developers to have zero interest
> in creating an embeddable variant.

Except, it appears to me that Henrik is intending to embed it not in
the sense of being a "shared library with application," but rather in
being "mostly hidden from users."

It seems pretty reasonable to me to try to figure out a near-minimal
footprint for PostgreSQL where, for instance, you might:
 a) Restrict TZ to GMT, and thereby eliminate most timezone data
 b) Restrict character encodings to C/SQL_ASCII, so that most of the
    encoding libraries in $PGHOME/lib/ could go away
 c) Drop pgxs (it's "embedded" - no further components are to be
    added) and #include files

I'm finding my "make install" of PG 8.2 is ~15.5MB in size on Linux;
if I trimmed out the above, that would probably cut the size of the
install roughly in half.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.secnanifxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html

Сообщение: Re: Needed files - embedded postgres
Сообщение: Re: Needed files - embedded postgres