Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Hi,

On 08/08/2019 04:07, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Craig Ringer (craig@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 04:03, Nasby, Jim <nasbyj@amazon.com> wrote:
>>> I'm on-board with that color of paint for the shed. (FWIW, I'm not
>>> actually opposed to -extensions either; worst-case we split that list later
>>> if needed.)
>>
>> Right. Does it matter, really? People working on these things will be well
>> enough connected to -hackers and the community.
>>
>> Personally the only advantage I see to splitting it off -hackers is that it
>> makes posts related to addins/forks/extensions/spoons/magic unicorn
>> fairies/whatever more visible to that interest group.
>
> I agree that makes sense- if what they're talking about are
> forks/extensions/unicorns, but the list of topics provided previously
> looked like things that the fork folks want changed in core, and
> anything along those lines belongs on hackers, not on some other list.
>
> This really seems like it's going to lead in a direction where the
> various forks discuss on some other list things they want to see in core
> (such as reducing the velocity of commits to core...), and then they're
> going to spend a bunch of time on it and eventually propose something on
> -hackers that ends up getting shot down, and I don't really think that's
> going to be very satisfying for anyone.
>
> Let's keep the discussion about changes to core on -hackers. If there's
> folks who want a list to get together and discuss how to address certain
> limitations and how to work around them in the extensions system or the
> set of hooks that are provided, that's great, but it should be clear
> that it's that and not intended to be some kind of alternative list for
> discussing core changes.

So when somebody wants to do some core changes in your company, they
never discuss it with their colleagues before posting to -hackers?

I see this list as two main purposes (at least for me, and I wasn't at BoF):
- help each other using hooks/apis when there does not seem to be
straightforward way of doing something (this does not belong to -hackers
IMHO and there is no other C level hacker mailing list)
- do initial discussion on ideas for extensibility enhancements of
PostgreSQL - it does help to know what you are proposing is useful for
others or that it can be ironed out to be more broadly useful

--
Petr Jelinek
2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise