Re: Syntax for partitioning

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Syntax for partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> Settling on a syntax, and an internal representation for that syntax,
>
> I've been under the impression that this was only about syntax. What are the
> internal additions?

I haven't looked at it in detail, but it adds a new pg_partition
table.  Whether that table is suitably structured for use by the
optimizer is not clear to me.

> Generally speaking, I'd agree with Simon or even vote for doing the
> internals first and add the syntactic sugar only later on.

That's not really possible in this case.  The internals consist of
taking advantage of the fact that we have explicit knowledge of how
the partitions are defined vs. just relying on the (slow) constraint
exclusion logic.  We can't do that unless, in fact, we have that
explicit knowledge, and that requires inventing syntax.

> That point is well taken, but it would be more compelling if it were the
> same or at least a compatible syntax.

There's been an effort to make it close, but I haven't followed it in
enough detail to know how close.

...Robert