Re: Number of tables

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Number of tables
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Alvaro
Herrera<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>
>> It would be nice to have a solution to that where you could create
>> lightweight temporary objects which belong to an "application session"
>> which can be picked up by a different database connection each go
>> around.
>
> It would be useful:
>
> CREATE SCHEMA session1234 UNLOGGED
>  CREATE TABLE hitlist ( ... );
>
> Each table in the "session1234" schema would not be WAL-logged, and
> would be automatically dropped on crash recovery (actually the whole
> schema would be).  But while the server is live it behaves like a
> regular schema/table and can be seen by all backends (i.e. not temp)

+1.  In fact, I don't even see why the "unlogged" property needs to be
a schema property.  I think you could just add a table reloption.
(There are some possible foot-gun scenarios if the option were changed
subsequent to table creation, so we'd either need to decide how to
deal with those, or decide not to allow it.)

...Robert